Ok, ok – so I’ve been talking about these crackers for two days. Let me explain. The photo above, pretty as it is, was born out of necessity. By the time I got around to photographing the biscuits I literally only had 4 left – they went that fast!
The number one culprit in the cheesy cracker disappearance was someone whom I like to call Cheese Monster. If Sesame Street introduced a Cheese Monster this is what she would look like:
Here in France Cheese Monster loves the Belin Edam biscuits. In the US, I nearly lost her once in a box of Cheez-its. So when I decided to start our Clean Cuisine Challenge, making my own cheesy crackers was a high priority. These Whole Wheat Cheddar and Flaxseed Crackers seem to have done the trick. The other night, while preparing dinner, I placed Cheese Monster in her chair and gave her a few crackers. With the last cracker still stuffed in her cheeks she would scream at the top of her lungs “COOKIE!!!!!!” (toddler language for Please Mummy may I have another biscuit?) Hence, how they all disappeared.
- 290 grams (10 ounces) finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup+2 Tablespoons (160 g) whole wheat flour
- 2-3 Tablespoons Flaxseeds (if kids are fussy maybe start with 2)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Combine the cheese, flour and flaxseeds in a food processor and mix until it is starting to get clumpy. This takes a while. It could take more than a minute. When the dough stops whizzing around and sticking to the sides of the bowl you are about there. Add the oil and continue to mix again until it seems a bit clumpier. Pour the mixture onto a flat surface. It will be loose and crumby. Don't worry!